I misread this recipe when I went to make these and added 8 ounces of cream cheese, so I adjusted the powdered sugar and just added enough to make a dough I could work with. I would say I ended up with somewhere around 7 cups. Then I upped the peppermint extract until I had enough minty flavor. I just kept testing it after each teaspoon. I have no idea how much I ended up adding. I made these over a month ago! :) FYI, these freeze WONDERFULLY! Big hit at the open house!
And, honestly, I have never in my entire life ever seen a 3 ounce block of cream cheese!! Where art thou, oh mysterious smaller cream cheese block?? LOL.
CREAM CHEESE MINTS (Recipe Source: allrecipes.com)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 drops peppermint oil (I used peppermint extract, added it one teaspoon at a time)
- any color food coloring paste (optional)
- granulated sugar, for rolling
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, and confectioner’s sugar. Mix in peppermint oil. Color as desired with food coloring paste, or leave white.
- Roll mixture into small balls, roll in sugar, and place on waxed paper. Flatten with a fork dipped in confectioners’ sugar. (I skipped this and just used my thumb) Let dry for about 2 hours on waxed paper, then freeze or refrigerate.
Yields 8 dozen (I, obviously, had way more than that! LOL!)