I have found in all my adventures in cooking (and eating) that I am drawn to dishes that are relatively light and made flavorful with ingredients other than salt. Things like fresh herbs, garlic, crushed red pepper…and, of course, wine. :) It is very rare that I will make a rich/heavy main dish at home, and I’m pretty unlikely to order something like that out too. Dessert, on the other hand, that’s a completely different story!
This is one of my absolute favorite go-to meals at home because it satisfies both my main requirements: light and flavorful. It’s served with pasta, which we all know I adore, and it goes together lightening quick. Oh, and Eric enjoys it too. I guess that’s one of my criteria too (if I it has to be…)
CHICKEN MARSALA (Recipe Source: Better Homes and Garden Cookbook)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3 tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- In a shallow bowl stir together flour, marjoram, 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Place chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound the chicken lightly to about 1/4 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts. (Or you can do what I do…buy the already thin cut breasts!) Lightly coat chicken pieces on both sides with flour mixture, shake off excess.
- In a 12-inch skillet cook mushrooms and green onions in 1 tbs. of butter over medium-high heat until tender; remove from skillet. In the same skillet cook chicken in remaining 2 tbs. butter for 5 to 6 minutes, turning to brown evenly.
- Remove skillet from heat. Return mushrooms and green onions to skillet. Carefully add broth and Marsala to skillet. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season sauce to taste with additional salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken. If desired, serve over pasta.