***EDIT (7/22/08)*** Don’t try to use the Caramel Kisses! They don’t hold up very well. I hadn’t gotten one with a caramel kiss myself until LAST NIGHT! It just melted into a puddle at the bottom of the cupcakes. I served these to a bunch of people Saturday night, so I guess no one had the guts to tell me. Thanks a lot!!! The others worked great though! Still yummy! ENJOY! 🙂
Who doesn’t love all things mini?? Seriously, there is just something about cute little snacks that makes me so happy. They are DANGEROUS though…woo, look out! Somehow the entire concept of portion control goes right out the window when the treat is tiny. Check out this YouTube clip of comidien Jim Gaffigan (who is HYSTERICAL, btw, and talks a lot about food) where he comments on the messed up world of Mini-Muffins. SO funny!
Luckily, these little guys I concocted are pretty rich, so one or two will do ya. I stumbled across some leftover Hershey Kisses in my cabinet this week. Leftover from…CHRISTMAS! GASP! Ha! I also bought a mini muffin tin last weekend and I decided to break it in today by making a treat to enjoy while my friend from college is visiting. It’s a chocolate cupcake with a candy surprise inside! I made the cake and frosting using my absolute favorite chocolate cake recipe – “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake from Hershey’s. If you have not tried this cake, you should. It’s so EASY and it comes out perfect every time.
CANDY KISS CUPCAKE BITES (Recipe Source and adapted from: Hersheys.com)
**Note**: This made A LOT of mini-cupcakes, I recommend halving the recipe. Hope my friend is willing to take some home with her!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Assorted Hershey Kisses (preferably “filled” kisses. I had caramel, mint truffle, and hot cocoa cream. Hello, and welcome to Yumstown!)
- “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line a mini-muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared muffin cups, about 2/3 of the way full. (I filled my first tin of cupcakes WAY to high, so they kind of spilled over the tops and spread a bit, so make sure not to fill them all the way to the top!)
3. Insert a kiss into the center of each cupcake and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center. (And now for my DUH moment of the day! Of course, the candy sank right to the bottom (DUH!) so the kiss is certainly not in the middle (see photo below) But I wonder if you invert the kiss by sitting it in so the tip is facing the bottom, if that may help the problem. Then again, it doesn’t really matter because they still taste DELISH!)
4. Cool completely and frost with “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Frosting.
“PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING (Recipe Source: Hersheys.com)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.