I sure do love cupcakes. They are quickly becoming my favorite thing to bake. Here’s why. Instant portion control. Eat one and you feel like you’ve had a delicious treat. I especially love the recipes that only make 12. It’s just the perfect amount for Eric and I share for the week. Not to mention the fact that they are just so darn cute.
So I think I’ve found a new favorite way to use up those ripe bananas! Move over, banana bread! These cupcakes are light, fluffy and delish. And the frosting…omg…the frosting. I don’t always love buttercream (it can be too sweet for me) but this one packs a punch. Eric LOVED these!
BANANA CUPCAKES WITH HONEY-CINNAMON FROSTING (Recipe Source: MarthaStewart.com)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas), plus 1 whole banana, for garnish (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Honey-Cinnamon Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture. In well, mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not overmix). Dividing evenly, spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Spread tops with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting. Just before serving, peel and slice banana into rounds, and place one on each cupcake, if desired.
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I increased this to 1/4 tsp. – helps counteract the sweetness)
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat confectioners’ sugar, unsalted butter, honey, and ground cinnamon until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes