Orange and chocolate…really, REALLY great!
It seems like the chocolate/fruit combination is a love it or hate it kind of thing. I love it! I know some people don’t care for it at all. Chocolate and strawberry is always good. Chocolate and cherry too. I don’t care for chocolate and raspberry quite as much, but I’ll still eat it. My absolute favorite though is chocolate and orange! Mmmm… Something about it just works. I used to love those Toblerone chocolate oranges you can get at Christmastime. They come in a foil wrapper in the shape of an orange and you whack it real hard on the counter before you unwrap it. Then when you open it up it’s all “sliced” like orange wedges. Yum!
I was looking for something easy to bake today and I remembered that I had brought home a third fun cookbook from my mom’s collection the last time I was home. This one!
I just love old-timey cookbooks. It really makes you think about what it would be like cooking in another era. In many ways, I think it’d pretty much the same. Special treats for special people. Food to celebrate with and bring people together. Those things will never change! This one is full of chocolatey goodies that use Hershey products. I used to flip through this one a lot when I was a kid because it’s got a ton of neat photos inside. I found a muffin recipe inside that satisfied my craving for something sweet and my requirement to get it done quickly. Mmmmm…
CHOCOLATE CHIP ORANGE MUFFINS (Recipe Source: Hershey’s 1934 Cookbook)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsps. grated orange peel
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat the egg and add to the four mixture
- Add milk and vegetable oil, stirring only to moisten the flour. Mix in the milk chocolate pieces and the orange peel.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees) for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.