Wait a second here…my husband actually has an opinion when it comes to dinner?? Oh my goodness…that never happens! A red letter day, my friends. I asked my husband what he wanted to eat and…wait for it, wait for it….HE TOLD ME! Be still my heart!
We walked in the door at the same time tonight, which is also a rareity in this house. Usually, I’m home first so I just start cooking whatever it is I want and make him eat it. Heh. But since he was here, I gave him two choices. Choice #1 – Chili Mac. Choice #2 – Breakfast for dinner with apple cinnamon pancakes, bacon and scrambled eggs…I had the bacon and some buttermilk leftover from the weekend and I was looking to use it up.
He thought for a minute and said “Pasta sounds good…but bacon sounds good too. Can you make something with pasta and bacon…” Pause. “And cheese?” Cue big irrisistable smile.
Awww…how could I say no to that? So needless to say, I didn’t make either of the choices I gave him, but what I did make totally hit the spot. He was thrilled!
This dish is super simple, ready in the time it takes the pasta to cook. I had dinner done, the dishes done and my but planted on couch by 6:15. THAT’S a successful evening in my book!
CREAMY PARMESAN PENNE WITH BROCCOLI AND BACON (Recipe Inspiration: My Better Homes and Garden Cookbook and my adorable hubby!)
- Half a box of penne pasta
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbs. butter
- 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup parm cheese
- Cook pasta to al dente, adding broccoli about 2 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Drain and set aside. Cook bacon and set aside to drain and cool.
- In a saucepan cook onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Add parm cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add pasta and broccoli to saucepan, crumble bacon into pan, toss to coat. Serve it up!