Christmas is almost here! Nothing gets me in the holiday spirit quicker than getting in the kitchen and baking up a storm! In order to get my hands on a recipe I never tried before, I decided to participate in a holiday sweets recipe exchange on the cooking board I frequent. How fun is that?! Tara over at Smells Like Home put the whole thing together. Thanks, Tara, for doing this!
I was so beyond excited to get a recipe in my inbox! When I opened it and found an interesting recipe for a Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie, I have to admit I was slightly concerned. Pecan pie has never been a top choice on my favorite desserts.
But then I got to thinking about my previous experiences with pecan pie….I think the only way I’ve ever had it was of the overly sweet, overly mushy store bought variety. I’ve never made it, I don’t think anyone I know has ever made it! Well…I can’t stereotype an entire dessert just because I didn’t care for the crappy store bought variety! I started getting excited to give this one a go. Hello….pie AND booze…yeah, count me in!
This recipe comes together lighting quick! That’s always a plus in my book. Not to mention it is absolutely delicious!!!!!! The bourbon in the background gave this pie an irresistible warmth that just screams Christmas. That, coupled with the semi-sweet chocolate, really helped cut the sweetness of the filling. And the best part?? The top got all caramelized and crunchy…almost like a creme brulee. Mmmm…
This is a keeper for sure! I’m very anxious to see who submitted this. Thank you, whoever you are!! :)
CHOCOLATE BOURBON PECAN PIE (Recipe Source: WC Holiday Sweet Recipe Exchange)
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees F).
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and butter or margarine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter or margarine melts and sugar dissolves. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, bourbon, vanilla, and salt. Mix well. Slowly pour sugar mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until set and golden. May be served warm or chilled.