It happens to everyone at one point another. You take a package of chicken breasts out of the freezer and put them in the fridge to thaw with plans to use them a few days later. Something happens and for whatever reason, the day you plan to use them comes and goes. Now there is thawed chicken in fridge and all you can think about is how you need to do something with it right away. Like it makes you lose sleep…gotta make that chicken, gotta make that chicken now…now…NOW!
That happened to me this week. I was so worried I was going to miss my window to cook this chicken, I pulled it out of the fridge this morning and poached the entire package without any real plan of what I was going to do with it. I figured I’d come up with something later and if worst came to worst, I’d make a couple of quesadillas for us to chow down on.
For dinner tonight I was craving the two things I’m always craving….bread and cheese. HA! Since I already had cooked chicken already to go, the chicken parmesan calzone was born! YUM. These were so so good. Eric really enjoyed them. Simple to throw together too, especially if you have cooked chicken sitting around you need to use up. 🙂
CHICKEN PARMESAN CALZONES (Recipe Source: ME!)
- About 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce (I used a homemade sauce, but you can use your favorite jarred sauce too!)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 can refrigerated pizza dough (like Pillsbury)
- Egg wash
- Additional Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top
- More marinara for dipping! 🙂
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large bowl combine chicken, sauce, cheeses and basil. Stir to coat. (Note: The mixture will not be really saucy, just moistened.)
- Unroll pizza dough and divide into two portions. Roll the dough on a floured surface into a thin circle….just eyeball it until it looks big enough.
- Fill each circle with a generous portion of the filling, fold over and pinch edges with a fork to seal. Cut three small slits in the top. Brush each with egg wash and sprinkle with additional parm cheese.
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with additional sauce for dipping.