Orange and Blue Chief Illiniwek sweatshirt blanket? Check.
Girlie movie? Check.
Alcoholic beverage? You betcha.
Homemade pizza? Check and check.
Everyone has a different idea of “me” time but that right there…that is ideal for me. Warm, cozy, comfy heaven right in my own living room. Eric went out of town for the weekend to stay with a friend. I could have gone with him but I just felt like staying home. That doesn”t mean I didn’t pout a little when he left, because I always do…that’s a given. Believe it or not, I really do miss him when he’s away. Even so, I couldn’t help but get a tiny bit excited about some quality me time, especially since we have been quite busy lately!
For me, time to myself for sure means time in the kitchen. Follwed by stuffing my face with my creation in front of the TV. LOL. I love it because there’s no timelines, no pressure, I can take my time and really enjoy it. I blast my tunes on our iPod dock and dance around the kitchen like nobody’s watching. Well, I hope nobody’s watching….we don’t have window treatments on the kitchen windows yet so, really, it’s a free show once it’s dark outside. LOL. Eh, my neighbors shouldn’t be looking in my windows anyway, right? Right!
The other great thing about me time is getting to use all sorts of ingredients Eric won’t eat! That’s my favorite part. I like to pile them all on a pizza so it’s like maximum usage of said ingredients all at once. I can really get my fill when I pile them on top of a homemade crust. YUM!
This weekend’s Me Time Pizza featured a drizzle of olive oil, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, and crispy, spicey capocollo. I came to enjoy capocollo after a co-worker at the department store I worked at when we first moved here turned me onto a tiny sandwich shop down the street from the mall. They made a totally yummy sandwich they called the Italian BLT with grilled capocollo, lettuce, tomato, and a totally yummy homemade Italian vinaigrette dressing on top. Yum, yum, yum!
Well, that place went out of business a couple years ago, OF COURSE. Probably because it was a little on the pricey side (those types of places just don’t seem to last around here) so when I saw capocollo while browsing the grocery store deli case yesterday, I thought of that sandwich and decided to add it to me pizza! Perfect!
Below is the recipe for my Me Time Pizza…but the absolute best part of Me Time Pizza is that it is 100% customizable. These ingredients don’t appeal to you? No problem. Top your pie with whatever you like, pour yourself the beverage of your choice, grab your favorite chick flick and hit the couch! Enjoy!
“ME TIME” PIZZA
For the crust: You can make the one I like to make. Or make your favorite. Not into making your own crust? Refigerated dough will work. Frozen too. Boxed, bagged or pre-made will all do just fine. This is YOUR pizza after all!
For the toppings I used:
- 5 slices of spicy capocolla ham, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped artichoke hearts (I used canned. Drain, rinse, chop and pat dry)
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, patted dry
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded pizza blend cheese
- In a large skillet, heat enough olive oil in the pan to cover the bottom plus about a tablespoon more. Add onion and stir to coat. Reduce heat to low and simmer the onions until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. If onions begin to scorch, add a bit more oil and keep stirring. This whole process takes about 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to onions and cook until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove mushroom and onion mixture from pan with a slotted spoon, draining off as much oil as possible.
- Drizzle your dough with a bit of olive oil. Spread the onion/mushroom mixture over the top. Top with the rest of the ingredients and cheese. When it comes to cheese and toppings, I like to alternate by adding some veggies, then some cheese, more veggies, more cheese and end with the meat on top. But that’s just me…top with remaining ingredients any way you like!
- Bake according to your crust’s directions. While it’s baking, put on pj’s and slippers, pour your drink, cue up your movie. When it’s ready, ENJOY your Me Time! 🙂