I have the hardest time deciding what to bake. I pour over recipes on the internet and in cookbooks trying to decide. I literally get anxiety over it. I’m just afraid I’ll pick the wrong thing! It’s a tough job, I tell ya!
This happened to me yesterday morning. I was particularly anxiety-ridden because I slept a little later than I had intended and I was trying to finish up my grocery list before I went to the store. My “get the store before 10:00 a.m.” deadline was rapidly approaching and I just couldn’t make a decision on what I wanted to make this weekend! Argh! Frustrating! I was making one trip to the store….no second trips for special ingredients I forgot I didn’t have on hand. If I was going to bake something, I needed decide right away!
Finally, I’d had it and decided no special ingredients…that would solve the problem. I was going to bake something with what I had on hand. A plus considering this was a pricier trip to the store this time around with the laundry detergent, replacement Swiffer mop supplies and paper towels. Add about $25 (easy) with those non-food items. Ugh. No special ingredients would save my wallet.
After all that searching and wondering and worrying, I decided to go with an Orange Chocolate Chunk cookie. Mmmmm…orange and chocolate. I’ve said it before, one of my absolute favorite flavor combos. So good. Bright and rich at the same time. These cookies came together in no time and turned out great. Eric was skeptical at first but I got a rousing “Hey, these are really good!” when he tasted them so I guess I won him over. Heh… A yummy, chewy, citrus-y, chocolatey treat. Mmmm…. See my notes in italics for the changes I made…like I said, I only used what I had on hand!
ORANGE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES (Recipe Source: Mrs. Fields Best Cookie Book Ever)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar (I used dark because that’s what I had, worked fine)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. orange extract (I didn’t have this on hand either, so I used the juice of half a large orange)
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate bar, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups) (I subbed semisweet chocolate chips…again, what I had on hand!)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, soda, salt and orange peel. Mixw well with a wire whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend sugars with an electric mixer at medium speed. Add butter and beat to form a grainy paste, scraping sides of bowl if needed. Add eggs and orange extract, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and chopped chocolate. Blend at low speed until just combined. Do no overmix.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes until cookies are slightly brown along edges. Transfer cookies immediately to a cool surface with a spatula.