To Whom it May Concern:
I realize that my humble banana bread here is no way close to being to the largest loaf ever made, however, if you were ever so inclined to include a new record in your collection for the largest banana bread ever made with one measley bunch of bananas and a standard loaf pan, I think I may have a contender right here. This is one massive loaf of breakfast bread. That’s gotta be worth a mention!
Think about it.
Okay, so my banana bread is no where close to breaking world records, but I do have to say this is biggest loaf of bread I have ever seen in my life! HA! And pretty darn tasty too. Technically, the recipe made two loaves, but when I realized my loaf pans were larger than the 8×4 inch pans the recipe called for, I ended up just making one larger loaf. I had every intention of making two in my larger pans, but after I finished assembling the first one in the pan, I realized I had no where near enough batter for the second. Oops! So I added what was left in the bowl to the pan and sent it off baking. Holy crap it is giant, but it’s excellent. YUM!
This recipe intrigued me because the batter called for the addition of cream cheese, which I thought would make for a totally moist and tangy bread. It did! And the peanut butter crumb topping is super yummy. If anything it could use a bit more peanut butter. The chocolate in the middle is a yummy surprise too. Overall, a very good bread that I will totally make again. After I obtain the correct size pans, of course.
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BREAD (Recipe Source: Taste of Home, February/March 2009)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, stir the flour, brown sugar, peanut butter and cinnamon until crumbly, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; stir into creamed mixture until just moinstened.
- Divide half of the batter between two greased 8×4 inch loaf pans; sprinkle with half of the topping. Top with chocolate chips. Reapeat layers of batter and topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees fpr 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.