I’ve had plenty of blond moments in my time. Fitting, I suppose, considering my hair is in fact blond. It’s dark blond…but blond none the less.
I’ve had blonde moments in public – stepping onto the bike path without looking my freshman year of college and getting “schwinned” (that’s UIUC speak for getting knocked over by bike) comes to mind as a biggie. Learned my lesson after that…NEVER cross the bike path without looking both ways!
I’ve had blond moments at work – I once stood up at my desk to grab something and didn’t realize I had kicked my chair away. I went to sit back down without looking. Yup, you guessed it…no chair. Fell right on my ass. Good times.
And I’ve had blond moments in the kitchen – Two summers ago I RUINED Eric’s birthday dinner by throwing chicken pieces that had been marinating for 24 hours in a mixture of honey, brown sugar and balsamic straight on the grill. They immediately burnt to a crisp and stuck like glue to the grill. Duh. Sugar + scorching hot grill = a disaster waiting to happen. While I was outside fighting with said chicken, I put a sauce on the stove to reduce that was the same flavor profile – honey, brown sugar, etc – I put the lid on the pot and left it unattended. Duh again. It promptly boiled over and turned to tar on my glass stove top. I am rather ashamed to admit I never did get it all off…a small spot of ruined birthday tar remains stuck on that burner to this this day. Oh yeah, and a sudden summer downpour DRENCHED me out of nowhere as I was chiseling chicken bits off my grill. I cried. Then we went out for pizza.
These Blueberry Cream Cheese Blondies are not the product of a blond moment.🙂 They are the product of a very busy girl with a gallon bucket of blueberries in her freezer who has been zig-zagging all over Illinois and back to Iowa for the past three weekends and was desperate for some kitchen time. I first saw the cheesecake and blondie combo over at Carrie’s Sweet Life. Sounded DELISH. Love blondies…love cheesecake. Sounds like a winner!
I did kind of go my own direction with these, combining several different recipes that I have tried in the past. First, just like Carrie, I used the basic blondie recipe from Baking Blonde’s blog. I use this recipe all the time and truly love it! So versatile and SO easy. If I find myself in a pinch and needing something delicious but still homemade, I make a pan of these and fill them with whatever I have availalble from peanut butter, to nuts, to chocolate chips. YUM!
For the cream cheese layer, I used the cream cheese portion of this Cream Cheese Brownie recipe from JoyofBaking.com. I actually made this recipe not too long ago for a get together with friends. I really liked the simple flavor of the cream cheese layer, but I didn’t love the brownie part. I like a fudgy brownie, but these were a little bit overkill for me. Meh. I don’t know…I’ve had better brownies. So I decided to recycle the cream cheese portion of the recipe and use it here.
For the blueberry layer, I winged it. I’ve made enough fruity sauces/fillings in my time, I’m comfortable in just throwing something together.
The results were a creamy, chewy treat with just the right kick of blueberry. In addition to the blueberry swirl on top, I threw a handful of fresh berries into the blondie layer too – just for fun. Very tasty. I already ate one tonight, but now that I’m sitting here writing about them, I’m thinking about going back for round two. YUM!
- 6-7 TBS butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsps corn starch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Make the blondie layer:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line an 8×8 pan with foil and lightly spray with PAM.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl melt the butter. Allow to cool for 5 mintues. Mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla. Add salt, stir in flour and baking powder (if using). Mix in blueberries
- Pour into prepared pan and use a greased spatula to evenly spread mixture in pan and level the top. Set aside
Make the cream cheese layer:
- In the bowl of a food processor (or with a hand mixer), process the cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla and egg and process until creamy and smooth. Spread on top of brownie layer.
Make the blueberry layer:
- In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar, water, cornstarch and lemon juice. Bring mixture a boil and simmer, stirring frequently, until the berries reduce and the mixture thickens. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Drop the blueberry mixture by tablespoon fulls onto the cream cheese layer and swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the blondies pull away from the side of the pan and the cream cheese is almost set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Chill for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares.
One Year Ago: Caramelized Apple, Onion and Sausage Flat-Bread Pizza