I don’t know about you but I’ve GOT to have breakfast. I’m a little bit baffled by those who don’t eat breakfast. How do they function? If I don’t have breakfast, I never wake up. I drag around with a grumbly tummy that feels totally gross. I need something to get me going and keep me going all morning long.
But breakfast is a tough meal. As much as I love food, I love my sleep just a little bit more. The whole getting up, getting ready, getting out the door on time part is enough work. I don’t need the added chore of breakfast hanging over my head.
The other difficult thing about breakfast is it’s GOT to keep me full. Is there anything worse than looking over at the clock when your stomach starts rumbling and realizing its only 9:30? Oh, I hate that. I’m not a huge snacker, so I just see what I can do first thing in the morning to keep me full right through noon. I could eat a giant, cream stuffed, chocolate frosted, greasy, heavy fried donut. That would keep me full for about three days. Sounds delicious but obviously, that’s a poor choice…fullness or not!
A healthy breakfast muffin sounded like just the thing for a fresh, homemade breakfast we could grab on the go. These Oat Applesauce Muffins are really easy to make and quite good. And since they’re made with 100% whole wheat flour, chock full of oats, and only about 100 calories each, you can pair one of these with some lowfat yogurt and a bit of fresh fruit for a tasty healthy breakfast!
This is a great base recipe that can easily be adapted and changed with what’s around the house. Different fruits could be subbed in. You can add flax or bran for an extra nutrition boost. It’s an empty canvas, really! Those are my favorite kinds of recipes! This time I added a few spices to warm up the flavor and mixed in some chopped apples for extra moisture and sweetness. They taste better the next day after the flavors had a chance to meld and develop a bit.
OAT APPLESAUCE MUFFINS (Recipe adapted from: Allrecipes.com)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce (I used a sugar and artificial sweetener free variety. If the color of the muffins looks funny it’s because it’s pomegranate applesauce!)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped apples
- Place oats in a small bowl, pour in buttermilk. Let sit for at least 30 minutes at room temp.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and brown sugar. Stir in oat/buttermilk mixture, applesauce and egg; mix well. Fold in apples. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.